Diageo celebrates ‘2015-2020 Sustainability and Responsibility’ achievements
Feature 10 AUG 2020
Today we are celebrating the conclusion of our highly ambitious 2020 Sustainability and Responsibility Goals. We’re proud that our goals, originally set in 2008 and refreshed in 2015, were among the most ambitious and stretching in the industry.
We selected our 2020 targets to align with the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals and to cover our three main focus areas: reducing environmental impact, building thriving communities and promoting positive drinking.
Key highlights that we have delivered include:
- Cutting greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from direct operations by 509,000 metric tonnes, delivering on its commitment to reduce absolute emissions by 50%
- Reducing emissions by over a third (33.7%) across its total value chain, going beyond its original 30% target
- Replenishing 100% of the water used in our final product in water stressed areas
- Ensuring that over 99.5% of our packaging is recyclable and achieving 45% recycled content in our packaging.
- Achieving zero waste to landfill in all operational sites and offices.
- Supporting more than 250,000 people through its projects focused on clean water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) in 2020
- Empowering 435,000 women to date through its community programmes
- Championing diversity such that 39% of leadership positions are now held by women, going beyond our original target of 35%
Despite our significant progress, however, we have not quite achieved all our ambitious goals. Click here to read more.
“As we close our 2020 targets, we are incredibly proud of the progress we have made and grateful to our employees and selected partners who have helped us deliver transformational progress. Through our programmes, we have made a positive impact on millions of people, in communities all around the world. We have been agile and moved quickly to adapt to the global changes around us. We are excited about the decade of action ahead and will continue to lead the way, driven by the knowledge that our future success is intertwined with the success of the living planet around us.”Ewan Andrew
Chief Sustainability Officer and President, Global Supply and Procurement
Over the last decade pursuing our sustainability and responsibility goals, we have adapted our programmes to improve their impact and has seen the benefit of an increased holistic and aligned approach within the business and with our vital third party partners. No business can deliver meaningful targets alone and it will be crucial that this focus and partnership approach is maintained as the world continues to combat both climate change and the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic.
In the coming months, we will be announcing a new set of targets to help further support in the delivery of the UN Sustainable Development Goals over the critical decade to 2030.