Working with the industry
We are part of an industry-wide programme to encourage the responsible use of alcohol.
In October 2012 we were one of 12 leading global producers of beer, wine, and spirits to launch new commitments to reduce harmful drinking. The members of the IARD work together to actively support the target in the WHO NCD Global Monitoring Framework of “at least 10% relative reduction in the harmful use of alcohol” by 2025
These commitments cover the following five areas:
- Reducing underage drinking
- Strengthening and expanding marketing codes of practice
- Providing consumer information and responsible product innovation
- Reducing drinking and driving
- Enlisting the support of retailers to reduce harmful drinking.
Responsible Online Alcohol Advertising
The members that form the International Alliance for Responsible Drinking (IARD), and four of the leading global internet platforms, Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter and YouTube, have formed a unique partnership to deliver better safeguarding measures for online alcohol advertising. The partnership aims to:
- ensure the most up-to-date safeguards are used so that marketing communications relating to beer, wine and spirits are directed to those adults who can lawfully buy these products
- explore what changes cane made to further diminish chances of those underage seeing this advertising
- explore ways people can have greater control over whether they see alcohol advertising and opt out of receiving advertisements for alcohol products.
The members of IARD have also created a set of Digital Guiding Principles (DGPs) as part of their “Beer, Wine and Spirits Producers’ Commitments to Reduce Harmful Drinking”, to ensure that their only alcohol marketing communications meet the same high standards that apply to traditional marketing activities.