Implement global alcohol industry commitments to expand and increase efforts on:
- reducing underage drinking
- strengthening and expanding market codes of practice
- providing consumer information and responsible product innovation
- reducing drink driving
- enlisting the support of retailers to reduce harmful drinking.
Eleven leading beer, wine, and spirits companies that form the International Alliance for Responsible Drinking (IARD), and four of the leading global internet platforms, Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter and YouTube, have formed a unique partnership to deliver better safeguarding measures for online alcohol advertising. The partnership aims to:
- ensure the most up-to-date safeguards are used so that marketing communications relating to beer, wine and spirits are directed to those adults who can lawfully buy these products
- explore what changes cane made to further diminish chances of those underage seeing this advertising
- explore ways people can have greater control over whether they see alcohol advertising and opt out of receiving advertisements for alcohol products.
The members of IARD have also created a set of Digital Guiding Principles (DGPs) as part of their “Beer, Wine and Spirits Producers’ Commitments to Reduce Harmful Drinking”, to ensure that their only alcohol marketing communications meet the same high standards that apply to traditional marketing activities.